Paris Journal April 18, 2004
Well, I have been here five days, and the weather has run the gamut. Today it is freezing and raining, but two days ago the sun was shining and it was a very comfortably 66 degrees. The trees are beginning to sprout leaves, and the tulips have been planted all around town.
I am staying in an affluent suburb of Paris called Maisons-Lafitte and I walk a mile each direction for the train. The homes are very old, with a few unattractive modern apartment buildings thrown in. At least they don't allow anything above six stories here.
Dominique and I are painting our new apartment and trying to figure out how to economically get rid of the ugly carpet. Think 1970s bank carpet. Unfortunately the wood floor underneath is covered in carpet glue, so I think we will wait to see if we decide to live there more than a few months before making an investment in refinishing the floor or installing a new carpet. Since the apartment is on what is effectively a 7th floor walk-up, these decisions are not to be made lightly.
One of the brilliant things about Paris is the refined decadence, particularly with cuisine. When visiting France, it is important to eat the food and drink the beverage as recommended by the waiters. Steak for lunch never tasted as good as with a glass of Bordeaux. Sip between every few bites, and the flavors intermingle beautifully. Try the same trick with a créme brulée and an espresso. Food never tasted so good!
Last night I went to see On The Waterfront with french subtitles. What a great movie! Go rent it soon, and watch it with someone. And repeat to yourself "I coulda been a contender". Then go out and be a contender.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home